[ultimate_modal btn_size=”lg” btn_bg_color=”#00bc32″ btn_text=”Did You Know ?” modal_size=”medium” overlay_bg_opacity=”80″ content_text_color=”#000000″ btn_txt_color=”#ffffff” content_font_style=”font-weight:bold;” content_font_size=”desktop:15px;tablet:15px;tablet_portrait:15px;mobile_landscape:15px;mobile:15px;”]1. According to the Council for Textile Recycling, the average US citizen throws away 70 pounds of clothing and other textiles annually. [Source: Harmony Enterprises, Inc.]

2. The U.S. EPA estimates that textile waste occupies nearly 5% of all landfill space. [Source: Harmony Enterprises, Inc.]

3. While the EPA estimates that the textile recycling industry recycles approximately 3.8 billion pounds of post-consumer textile waste (PCTW) each year, this only accounts for approximately 15% of all PCTW, leaving 85% in our landfills. [Source: Harmony Enterprises, Inc.]

4. Approximately 3-4 pounds of CO2 are saved for every pound of clothing that is spared from disposal. [Source: Planet Aid]

5. The carbon footprint of every t-shirt you buy is equivalent to 20 miles of driving. [Huffpost]

6. By reusing clothing rather than disposing of it, you reducee the need for growing more cotton. This reduces water consumption and pesticide use. [Source: Planet Aid]

7. Approximately 20% of industrial water pollution comes from textile dyeing and treatment? [Source: Planet Aid]

8. It takes roughly 700 gallons of water to make one t-shirt? [multiple sources including Planet Aid]

9. Over two billion t-shirts are sold worldwide every year. [Huffpost]

10. 520 million pairs of [new] jeans are sold in the U.S. annually. [Huffpost]

Compiled by S. McCracken for SFSFWI
September, 2017[/ultimate_modal]